The alarm went off at 7:00am and by 7:55am we were out the door. First, we headed back towards the NT border to the BP Truckie Fuel Station on the outskirts of Kununurra. Fuel here was $2.26 per litre.
As we approached the pumps, we saw a big road train had pulled up on the other side of the bowsers. He asked if he could use both of the pumps at the same time as he had four fuel tanks to fill before he could be on his way. He indicated it would probably only take about five or six minutes and we were quite happy to oblige him.
We chatted with him while the fuel was pumping, and he told us he had a load of carrots to go a feed lot at Mataranka. The fuel would get him all the way there and then into Darwin.
By the time he was finished there were another two vehicles waiting to use the bowsers.
We were finished by 8:13am and headed back towards Kununurra and beyond, and the temperature was already sitting at 25 degrees. There was some considerable traffic heading into Kununurra along the highway, and we thought they might be people on their way to work.
At 8:42 am we came across a floodway on the Victoria Highway that was six kilometres long. That’s a lot of water! The road surface was undulating but in good order.
The Victoria Highway joins up with the Great Northern Highway at Cockburn Rest area, where there is a dump point, and 24-hour camping is allowed. This is where we will begin our journey south when we leave Kununurra.
We stopped off at The Grotto for a look. It is a deep-water pool at the base of a rocky ravine. There are 144 steps to the bottom, and it is a popular year-round swimming hole. In the wet season it hosts some spectacular waterfalls.
In the pool at the bottom of the steps (which we did not climb down) the water is over 100 metres deep. It is an important location for local Aboriginal people as there are rock art sites in the area. The carpark had a number of vehicles in it and some of them were on their way down the rocky steps – in thongs! Russ took a photo of a new bird.
After this detour we headed back onto the Great Northern Highway and on to Wyndham, which is Western Australia’s most northerly town, and where the Great Northern Highway ends. It is 3,330 kilometres from Perth (a long way yet for us to go) and 929 kilometres from Darwin.
Wyndham is situated on the Cambridge Gulf where the King, Pentecost, Durack, Forrest and Ord rivers meet. It is surrounded by spectacular landforms, rivers and wetlands.
Wyndham has the third largest tidal movements in the world, and the hottest average temperature in Australia. Over a full year the average daily maximum is 36 degrees.
It has a fascinating timeline of events.
45,000 BCE the first Indigenous people arrived. The sea level was probably more than 120 metres lower than today, and the coastline extended much further out into the Timor Sea.
In 1819 the first European, Captain Phillip Parker King, arrived. He stayed for three days and surveyed the coastline. He gave names to the Bastion Range (due to its similarity to a castle), Cambridge Gulf and Adolphus Island (named after Adolphus Frederick, Duke of Cambridge, son of King George 111).
1882 saw Michael Durack land at Cambridge Gulf looking for cattle country, and in 1884 cattle arrived at Ord River, and gold was discovered at Hall’s Creek.
Wyndham as first established in 1885 – Gold fever was the catalyst. Within a few years approximately 5000 miners had passed through on the way to the goldfields of Halls Creek. Numerous hotels and grog shanties sprang up. Only two remain – The Six Mile and the Wyndham Town Hotel.
Anthon’s Landing was built in 1894 and was named after Captain Anthon. It was the name given to the Port before it was officially gazetted Wyndham in 1886.
The T-shaped construction of Anthon’s Jetty was the first indications of Government recognition of Wyndham as a seaport. It included a cattle ramp, so live cattle could be shipped to the Fremantle market.
It was the first jetty in Wyndham and built to handle the first cattle shipments into the area. Socially it became the hub of activity whenever a ship arrived. The jetty was destroyed by fire in 1944, the cause of which was never discovered.
Pylons from the original wharf built in the 1880’s can be seen at low tide.
Nearly seventy years later a new award-winning recreational fishing jetty was built in its place and was officially opened in February 2012.
By 1893 the Telegraph Line opened from Hall’s Creek to Wyndham.
1918 began construction of the Wyndham Freezing (Meat) Works and wharf.
The Wyndham Meat Works and Wyndham Wharf opened in 1919 and cattle processing commenced. The town then became the major service centre for the region. Historic buildings still stand as testament to the early days of Wyndham.
1929 Charles Kingsford Smith was lost and found again near Wyndham and in 1930 the first airmail arrived.
By 1931 Kingsford Smith had broken the world record for the Wyndham to London flight. He did it in 8 days, 4 hours and 44 minutes.
German Aviators became lost on the north coast in 1932. Miraculously, they were rescued alive 38 days later.
In 1934 the first air passenger service began, and this was followed in 1936 by the establishment of a Flying Doctor Base.
Then came the World War 2. In 1942, due to the fear of attack by Japanese forces the town was evacuated. The Meat Works were closed from 1942 -1945. The Motor Vessel (MV) Koolama was bombed.
MV Koolama was an Australian merchant vessel that sank as a result of several attacks by Japanese aircraft in February–March 1942.[Control]
Koolama was built in 1937, in Scotland, for the State Shipping Service, at a cost of £250,000, and was registered at Fremantle. She was 348 feet (106 metres) long, with a beam of 54 feet, and had diesel engines driving two propellers.
Koolama could accommodate about 200 passengers and 90 crew, 500 live cattle and had a freezer hold for cargo such as meat. She was used mostly for passenger and general freight transport on coastal routes in Western Australian (WA) waters.
In January 1942, following the outbreak of war with Japan, Koolama carried members of the ill-fated 8th Division and their equipment to Ambon and West Timor, in Netherlands East Indies. On the return voyage she carried Dutch refugees to Darwin.
On 10 February 1942, Koolama – under Captain Jack Eggleston – sailed from Fremantle, bound for Darwin with Australian Army personnel and equipment, as well as some convicts on work release and regular civilian passengers.
Although the soldiers on board were armed only with rifles, the ship carried a 50 mm (1.97 in) gun on its rear poop deck, which was intended for use against submarines and could not be aimed above level for anti-aircraft purposes. Koolama varied Vickers 0.303-inch machine guns mounted on each side of the bridge.
At 11.30 am on 20 February 1942, a day after the first Japanese air raids on Darwin, Koolama was off the coast of the Kimberley, when it was attacked by a Japanese Kawanishi H6K flying boat near Cape Londonderry. Three or four bombs landed near the ship but caused no damage. Eggleston reported the attack by radio and continued towards Darwin.
At 1.30pm, three Kawanishis – led by Lieutenant Commander Tsunaki Yonehara – attacked the ship again, over a period of 30 minutes. Three bombs hit the ship.
One 60 kg (132 lb) bomb, dropped from a height of 800 m (2,625 ft), went through wooden decking, struck a civilian passenger, Raymond Theodore “Bluey” Plummer, glancing blows to his head, arm and foot, before falling into an engine room and exploding.
Plummer was facing down and a tailfin on the bomb struck the back of his head, peeling away the scalp as far as his nose, along with a piece of his skull. Although Plummer’s brain was partly exposed, he remained alive, albeit unconscious. The bomb also caused injuries to his arm and foot. Two other passengers were also injured.
Koolama was severely damaged. Later that afternoon, with the ship taking water at the stern, and its steering and internal communications out of action, Eggleston decided to beach the ship in Rulhieres Bay (later known as Koolama Bay).
He sent an SOS by radio and ordered that the ship be evacuated by lifeboat but did not officially abandon Koolama. The following day, as the evacuees awaited help in an inhospitable area of mangroves, inhabited by many saltwater crocodiles, Japanese planes attacked again without effect.
Eggleston and his first officer, Ken Reynolds – who was also a qualified ship’s master – disagreed regarding the best course of action. The captain wanted to re-float Koolama, using the high tide, and head back to the small port of Wyndham; he believed that the ship could pump out enough water to survive 48 hours at sea, and could be steered with its engines. However, Reynolds believed that Koolama should be abandoned. The crew split into two factions along these lines. Because of this, some people later accused Reynolds of mutiny.
While they waited for assistance, the crew undertook some repairs to the stern.
On 25 February, a lugger crewed by Benedictine priests and Aboriginal people from the nearest settlement, Drysdale River Mission (later known as Kalumburu), almost 100 kilometres (80miles) away, arrived to take the sick, wounded and women passengers to the mission, a journey of 24 hours. After enduring a week on the shore, most of the passengers and crew members began to walk to Drysdale River, guided by a priest.
By 1 March, all possible on-site repairs had been completed and the badly damaged Koolama, with Eggleston, 18 crew members, three civilian passengers and two military personnel, was re-floated and set off for Wyndham. The bomb damage, including blown rivets, was worsened by the stress of movement, and as Koolama approached the port on the morning of 2 March, about 24 hours after leaving Rulhieres Bay, its pumps could no longer keep up with the inflow of water.
By 7pm, Eggleston and his party had unloaded most of the cargo, including army vehicles and other military equipment. The pumps were run throughout the night and unloading resumed at 6.00 am. However, the pumps were becoming clogged with mud and the ship was still taking water.
Just after 7.00 am on 3 March, eight Japanese Zero fighters, led by Toshitada Kawazoi, made a strafing attack on Wyndham. This air raid caused no apparent damage to the Koolama, but Eggleston and his crew remained on shore for the rest of the day, in case follow-up raids occurred.
By 4pm, Koolama was down at the stern and listing to starboard. At about 4.45 pm the ship rolled onto its side in the shallow water. It was written off.
Meanwhile, some of the crew and passengers at Rulhieres Bay were rescued by flying boat, and arrived in Broome on 3 March 1942, just after a devastating air raid on the town. A further 19 men had to wait for the return of the mission lugger.
On 5 March, Plummer was flown from Drysdale River to Darwin, for more intensive medical treatment. He underwent more than 40 operations resulting from his injuries but lived until the early 1980s.
One man had died while walking to Drysdale River and he was buried at the mission. He was the only fatality resulting from the attacks on the Koolama.
Later in 1942, a Marine Board of Inquiry exonerated all the crew members of any wrongdoing. Both Eggleston and Reynolds had long careers, including positions as Marine Superintendents, with the State Shipping Service.
In 1947, an attempt to re-float Koolama was unsuccessful. The hull was raised the following year, only to clear Wyndham harbour. It was towed out to sea and scuttled.
In 1954 the Morgan expedition surveyed the route from Gibb River to Kalumbaru, and the Gibb River Road was completed in 1956.
In 1965 the original two-storey Wyndham Hotel was demolished, and the Swan Breweries Hotel/Motel was built. (It is a very sad sight today.)
In 1967 the Meat Works was sold by the government to Northwest Beef, and in 1968 Wyndham’s Mile became Wyndham, and the township at the port was renamed Port Wyndham (another very sad sight in the township).
By 1971 the Moochalabra Dam was built to provide the township with a water supply, and Parry’s Lagoon was designated a Nature Reserve. (We tried to go there but the road was so badly corrugated that we quickly gave up and headed back to the highway. It is a real shame that this gravel road is almost impassable (if you care about your vehicle), and we would have loved to have had lunch while birdwatching.
In 1977 the bulk loading facilities were installed at the Port, which ended the era of trains.
In 1979 Diamonds were found near Lake Argyle; in 1981 satellite television was installed; 1985 Commercial television was available (and at that time most of us were already watching colour tv!).
The Meat Works closed in 1986. It was built by the Western Australia government and was the largest meatworks in the Southern Hemisphere at that time.
The site included a jetty, power station, freezing works, cannery, rail system, engineering and carpenter workshops, stores and canteens, staff housing, dance hall, outdoor picture theatre and tennis courts.
The staff included slaughtermen, butchers, boilermakers, barrel makers, hide preparers, machine-shop workers, packers, engineers, carpenters, cooks and bag makers.
The workers arrived by State ship (like the Kalooma) each year for the season which was 16 – 20 weeks from May through to September.
The stock were walked into the meatworks from cattle stations via a range of stock routes – NT and Ord River to the east, Hall’s Creek and Kurunjie stock routes to the south.
Most of the beef and the by-products were exported, and due to their “Empire preference” tariff policy, Britain was the main market.
Over 62 seasons, 2,072,049 beasts were processed at the meat works. Only the cattle yards continue to be used today.
In 1987 the ‘Big Croc’ was erected at the town entrance. First erected by a group of students and volunteers, the frame was formed from 5.5km of steel rod, surrounded by 10 rolls of bird mesh and covered in 6 cubic metres of concrete.
In 1988 the Dreamtime Statues were erected at Warriu Park, and in 1991 El Questro was opened for tourists. To complete the timeline, in 1999 the Home Valley Station was purchased by the Indigenous Land Council.
The historic town of Wyndham, now known as Port Wyndham covers a small area of land between Mt Albany and the Cambridge Gulf. It is unable to expand due to the tidal mudflats located at both ends of the main street.
The daily tides rise and fall up to 8.3 metres. For this reason, in 1968 the town was moved to Wyndham 3-Mile.
In 1918-19 when the L-shaped timber jetty was built to service the Meat Works, trains delivered good to and from the jetty.
In 1959 the jetty was extended to form the existing u-shaped wharf. The length of the wharf available for ship berthing is 314 metres.
With the introduction of shipping containers in 1979, the wharf was concreted, and trains were replaced by tractors.
Wyndham Port exports live cattle, minerals, crude oil and agricultural products in response to market requirements. Imports include bulk fuel and fertiliser. Its imports include bulk fuel and fertiliser.
The Five Rivers Lookout is the highest point of the Bastion Range (330 metres). It affords a birds-eye view over the Cambridge Gulf including the surrounding Durack, Pentecost, King, Forrest and Ord Rivers.
Panoramic views from the top of the range are spectacular with breath-taking sandstone escarpments, expansive mud flats, woodland and boab outcrops surrounding Wyndham.
We made our way up to the top of the lookout up a very steep, winding road with hair pin bends and a “No caravans past this point” sign.
The view lived up to its hype, as did the understanding of the history from the placement of the remains of old buildings and businesses as seen from the top.
There was a tour bus at the top with a lot of chatty people. The tour guide commented on Russ’ bright yellow towelling hat, and it looked like she would have been popular with her group as she had a sense of humour.
We then headed back into town and went to see the Pioneer Cemetery (1886 – 1922), which is an historical reminder of the harsh conditions of the remote location, and the determination of the people who settles here.
It was the first cemetery in Wyndham and was known as “The Bend Cemetery” due to its location on a bend of the main highway. Graves here include early pioneers and meatworks construction workers (1915 – 1917) who died mostly from heat exhaustion.
It was closed due to a lack of space and erosion of the graves by high tides. The last burial at this cemetery was Charles Bridge, aged 23, the owner of Springvale Station, and he died on 18 July 1929.
There is no official burial register for this site and the cemetery includes many unmarked graves.
When we go out for Russ to do his geo-caching, I generally take along my ereader as he can be a while trying to find the cache.
I was a fair while taking photos of mudflats (that didn’t do the sight justice), the cemetery and surrounds and some of the mulla mulla plants (pussy tails). As I got back in the car Russ said, “If I had known you were going to take that amount of time, I would have brought my ereader”. The Cox humour at work once again.
The Gully Cemetery (1922 -1968) is nestled at the foot of the Bastion. Before Wyndham 3-mile township was established in 1968 most residents lived in “The Gully” or “The Port” and this was the town’s cemetery.
The Afghan Cemetery (1919 -1942) commemorates the cameleers who delivered freight to remote East Kimberley stations, prior to the arrival of motor transport.
From the 1860s to the 1920s thousands of Afghani cameleers with camels were transported to new Australian colonies to have a critical role in providing transport and trade in the Australian outback.
Their camel tracks connected coasts with deserts and formed an extensive network across the continent’s remote interior. Their multiple contributions of assisting in early exploration, carting supplies to scattered pastoral stations, carting wool, copper and gold to international ports, carting materials for telegraph lines and for vermin fencing, and carting water to goldfields were significant in Australia’s founding development.
As they established significant settlements and delivered exports, they formed relationships with Australia’s diverse Aboriginal people. They brought their religions, cultures and traditions with them enriching Australia’s cultural diversity.
Though their arrivals decreased after the Restricted Immigration Act of 1901 their descendants continued their influence which is felt in Australia today, from camel racing to date palms to family names, to the famous Ghan train’s logo, Afghan cemeteries and the first mosques.
Their descendants give substance to their history through launching memorials, gathering for reunions, and giving interviews to various media people.
Camels opened the great central expanses of Australia. For more than 50 years until the 1920s, camel trains radiated into the outback from railways that gradually extended into the interior, or from points near otherwise isolated, inaccessible parts of the country.
In long strings of up to 70, they sustained human life and new endeavours in the emerging outback communities. They carried building and railway materials, food, furniture, water, mail and medicine to the pastoralists and mining ventures, returning with the products of those inland enterprises – baled wool and oil.
Camel cartage bases were formed at railheads or near ports, and ‘Afghan-towns’ developed on their outskirts. These became known as Ghantowns.
The cameleers were Muslims who adhered faithfully to their religion and built mosques wherever they settled. They brought with them no women, and although some married European or Aboriginal women, their families always lived in the Ghantowns and rarely mixed in Australian society.
Camels were singularly superior to horses and bullocks in the dry centre, and the Afghan cameleers were better suited physically than the Europeans to the harsh conditions in inland Australia.
Among the first were those imported in 1860 for the Burke and Wills Expedition that was the first to cross the continent from south to north. Their use on that expedition led to the later imports.
The Port Augusta wharves were where the first commercial shipment of camels and their handlers disembarked, from the steamer Blackwell, on New Year’s Day 1866.
The shipment was arranged by pastoralist-entrepreneur Thomas Elder, who was determined to establish a carrying business and camel stud at his Beltana property in the nearby Flinders Ranges.
A great crowd had gathered on the wharves to watch the unloading of such strange cargo with their exotic, turbaned handlers.
It is ironic that although Alice Springs has been popularly and romantically linked with camels and Afghans in recent years, Alice was the last place where the cameleers settled.
Camels are curious, intelligent, strangely endearing animals. Today only a few second-generation descendants of the original Afghans are still alive in Australia, most being in their 70s or older.
A few still live in their original Ghantown houses, with Muslim mementos of camels and turbaned men on their walls. They have a quiet dignity and reserve; their houses smell deliciously of curries, they keep the pork taboo and many remember a few phrases in Pushtu or Dati, or a few prayers in Arabic.
It was 32 degrees at 11:15am. We thought we might take the Parry Creek road back to Kununurra, stop off and see The Telegraph Station on the way, and take a lunch break at Parry’s Lagoon. However, the corrugations in the road were so horrendous that we turned back to the highway after only a kilometre. It was a very slow and bumpy ride, and we both mentioned getting an unexpected massage on our derrieres (bottoms for those that don’t know some French).
We also saw a Russncar Boab tree (you are gonna love this one. Its another Cox humour example, but this one was romantic). It was two trunks of a boab tree joined together, forever, and one was a lot taller than the other.
We climbed 336 metres to get to the Five River Lookout and Wyndham township is at 8.4 metres above sea level, The round trip was 247 kilometres from start to finish.